Sunday, July 19, 2009

Gingerbread

Not a Usual Summer Treat


Yesterday at work, I was staring at the gingerbread cookies and all I could think about was how great they looked. However, those cookies aren't dairy free, so I only stared, drooling...all day. Today I figured I should make some even though it's the middle of summer.

Ingredients

2/3 cup crisco (or other vegan margarine)
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup soy milk
3.5 cup flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
5 tsp ginger
1/3 cup sugar for rolling

Mix together margarine, sugars and soy milk. Add molasses and blend until smooth. Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl and add to the first mixture. Mix until combined thoroughly. (I mixed with my hands, because the dough was a little crumbly otherwise.) Roll into balls and roll the balls into the sugar. Place on a lightly greased sheet 4 x 3, about an inch apart and flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes. Cool on the pan. Makes 2 dozen cookies.



I love the way these cookies crack at the top and look so cute and classic. Probably my new favourite.

No comments:

Post a Comment